Thursday, March 17, 2011

Best Chicken Tortilla Soup Ever

Pin It Now! For dinner Tuesday we had chicken tortilla soup.  I just had some leftovers for lunch and was reminded how incredible it was so I thought I would share the recipe.  I used this recipe as my guide but made some small changes to suit our family.  Here's how we fixed it:


2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced (I used a micro-planer)
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 cups frozen corn
1/2 cup water
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
50 ounces homemade chicken stock 
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
shredded jack cheese
tortilla chips
canned black beans


1. In a large pot, sauté onion and garlic with olive oil until soft.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients (except for last three) to the large pot and bring to a boil.
3. After about 25 minutes, remove the chicken breasts and shred with a fork.
4. Return the shredded chicken to the pot and continue to simmer for an additional 45 minutes.
5. Serve, top with tortilla chips and cheese (I added some black beans to Avery's cause she loves black beans, Eric and I both had a taste of her's and it was really good that way, Eric said we should put them in ours next time too)


I wish I had a picture of it to show you but I didn't think about doing a post on it until my bowl was empty (but there are several on the website where I found the recipe)  : (  We loved this recipe and will definitely be using it again in the future.  

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, I make chicken tortilla soup all them time. It's my "go-to" meal!! An easy, but delicious crowd pleaser, for sure :)

    ReplyDelete