Sunday, April 3, 2011

Tot School-18 months

Pin It Now!
Avery is 18 months old
Tot School


We had another busy week but I have a feeling that is going to be happening a lot with spring here and warmer weather on it's way.  My parents are on spring break so we ended up spending a lot of our afternoons with them, which is when we usually do tot school (a couple of days we managed to switch it to the morning and it seemed to work really well).  We also had Avery's 18 month doctor's appointment and on Friday we had a couple friends over to play (getting better and better at sharing her toys).  But anyway, here is what we managed to get done for tot school this week...




I was so excited when our Learning Tower came last weekend.  We ended up ordering it from Amazon and we got it with the art easel plus free shipping.  Eric and I put it together on Saturday night and ever since it has been one of Avery's favorite things.  It has been so wonderful!!  I don't have to many pictures of her playing in it (the most common time is when we are cooking and I just don't think to grab the camera) but I did manage to get some pictures of her this day.





It started out as whisking bubbles then turned into stirring bubbles with a spoon and finally into spooning bubbles from one bowl to the other.  She absolutely loves being in it and anytime we start cooking she quickly asks "tow?  tow?"  and tries to pull it over to the counter.  




This week we talked a lot about pink and blue so we do a sorting work with pink and blue pompoms.  She wasn't too fond of it, it wouldn't hold her attention for too long but she seemed a little more interested in it as the week went on.  



We checked out some bristle blocks from the L and L Library and played with them a lot this week.  I ended up going out and getting our own set since she (and Eric) loved them so much!





Avery is getting really good at the names of different types of clothing so we played a little game where I would tell her what baby doll clothes to bring me (pants, shirt, jacket, socks, and shoes) and then I would help her put them on her baby.  She did really well and seemed to love it!  We ended it with pushing baby around around the kitchen/dining room in her stroller (always a favorite).




The easel on the Learning Tower is magnetic so I got her some of our refrigerator magnets and she had a great time playing with them.  My mom saw how much fun she was having with them and ended up making her 3 more magnets that have pictures of her with family members.  They have become her favorite magnets, she loves to tell who is in each picture.  






We also checked out a set of magnets from the L and L Library.  She had a great time exploring them and thought it was pretty cool when the balls stuck to our metal chairs.  





Since we talked about blue and pink we did a craft with contact paper and blue and pink circles.  For a while I just let her stick them down and tell her what color she had.  As we went along I started asking her what color she had and we ended it with me telling her what color to get.  We then turned the contact paper over and stuck it to a piece of plain white paper.





We then did a dot painting with pink (didn't have time to do blue this week but hoping to get it done next week).  She loved the dot markers as always!  I'm thinking about doing one for each color and then turning it into a book.  Haven't figured out all the details yet.





We ended the week with getting out the bristle blocks again.  This time we started out sorting the pink and blue.  Then we built with them and once again I started out telling her what color she had, then asking her, and finally asking her to get a certain color.  


We had a great week, hope you did too!


Want to see what other families did for tot school this week, head over to 1+1+1=1 to take a look!

9 comments:

  1. Very fun. I am a 4th-grade teacher turned SAHM of an almost 14-month-old boy.
    Thanks for sharing. I am a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the idea of a color book using the dot markers! Super cute. And I wish we had a Lend and Learn library around here. Our library has puzzles but that's it. Maybe I should check around. Very neat! Oh, and the magnets.. my oldest would love that because she is very scientific. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! just found your lovely blog and now following, i hope you can follow back also! I'd appreciate it so much :-)
    xoxo from NYC!

    TRAVEL DESIGNERY

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that bench/stand that your little is standing on - so she can be up high to help out on the counter without you worring if she would fall! Thanks for sharing. shes a doll

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am new to tot school and came over from 1+1+1=1.

    My LO is 15 months old and it is great to see what you are doing with your little girl as it won`t be long before he is at a similar level.

    The learning tower is awesome- wow! I wish I could get something like that here (although in our tiny apartment kitchen it wouldn`t work I suppose)- she definitely seemed to enjoy it though.

    I have just done my first tot school post and we worked on colours a little bit- the concept still seems a bit to abstract for him though but we will keep working on it.

    The lend and learn library is also such an awesome idea (again, wish we had something similar here)- how great that you can try toys out first and then if she does enjoy them (like the bristle blocks) you can purchase some. That is impressive! So is your little one- already knows the sames of heaps of things it seems! Mine is just starting to "find" things I ask for.

    Magnets are great for kids this age- mine likes sticking his abc magnets (from leapfrog) into steel muffin tins since they "stick"! He also likes to carry them around the house and hide them other places- this is not so much fun for me! hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so jealous of your learning tower. I've had my eye on getting it for a while but haven't convinced myself it's worth the money. I'm looking forward to seeing how you use it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Those are some great activities. Do you schedule the week before you get to it? She is so smart. My little dude would never sit there for dots. I have a hard enough time getting him to do anything other than cars!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a fun week, I love the idea of a color book...I think I will try it out with my little one. I was going to start a color of the week this week with him...so we'll have our first page! He loves magnets also and loves carrying them all around the house and "trying" them out.

    ReplyDelete